jscott wrote:The whole thread is a bit depressing. Grace periods are always welcome but the statement against charging for a downgrade rings true. I realize that it takes your time to enable the downgrade activation and time is money but the only reason it takes any time at all is the iron-fisted activation policy you have. I say that allowing downgrades for people trying to get a stable service is a good trade for customers willing to tolerate such inflexible, single-use activations. They are paying customers and not moochers after all. That should be worth something.
Anytime you allow any type of flexibility (like anytime downgrades) there will be abusers. How about not punishing everyone because a few morons are going to try to flip-flop between versions. Deal with the flip-floppers by identifying clear patterns of abuse and then charging THOSE folks for re-activation.
I say all of that because I bought 3.x a few weeks before 4.x came out. I was happy to get a free upgrade but 4.x has never worked as well as 3.x for me. It is very unstable and I have to make excuses to my girlfriend every other day why something didn't record. I've been thinking about downgrading for over a month but I'm hoping a more stable version of 4.x will be released. My main hesitation is not wanting to be locked into 3x if or when 4x stabilizes. Now I read this and find I will be locked either way. That--like I said--is depressing.
Oberon wrote:You have a purchased v3 product and v4 that you got as free upgrade. You may use any of them as long as you like. What is all this fuss about?
You have a purchased v3 product and v4 that you got as free upgrade. You may use any of them as long as you like. What is all this fuss about?
jscott wrote:You have a purchased v3 product and v4 that you got as free upgrade. You may use any of them as long as you like. What is all this fuss about?
Hmm. Now I'm really confused. I thought I explained my point pretty well and I thought I understood you to clearly state that 4 to 3 downgrades would be frozen as of 1 Jan. You say I can use either but I am only allowed 1 activation for either except for upgrades. Unless I misunderstand what I'm seeing when I view my account status, it says I have 0 activations available. When I got my new Dell Media Center I had to wait for support to provide a new activation before I could use my tuners with it. Maybe that's why I'm confused by the whole activation process.
So are you saying the downgrade policy only applies to people who originally purchased 4.x? And that I can uninstall 4x and reinstall 3x with my old license with no activation problems? And further, if I change my mind I can go back and try 4x again at a later time such as when new versions are released? If that is the case then I stand corrected, Sir.
Incidentally, I wrote my first post before seeing that 4.1 had been posted. In fact, I was checking to see if there were any upgrades when I saw the original post. I must say that 4.1 is working much better.
Iraq wrote:Can anyone post a link as to where I can find v. 4.1 which is apparently working so well for others? I'm still only seeing 4.02 with which I get a multitude of PlayReadyberror messages. I'd like to give it a try.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests