Policy change for DVBLink up/downgrades between v3 and v4

General discussions over DVBLink products

Policy change for DVBLink up/downgrades between v3 and v4

Postby Oberon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:23 pm

This announcement concerns customers who have purchased DVBLink v3 and/or v4 products on or after 1 July 2011.

Free of charge DVBLink upgrades and downgrades between versions 3.x and 4.x will be discontinued on 1 January 2012.

Starting at this date all upgrades and downgrades between v3.x and v4.x will cost 10 euros flat fee per user account in DVBLink license portal.
Server: Synology DS214Play, DVBSky S960CI Astra 28/23/19 (CanalDigitaal subscription), TeVii s660 Amos 4/Sirius, DVBLink TVSource 5.0.0
Clients: AsRock ION 330 Win7 with XBMC 13.1, Raspberry Pi with XBMC 13.1, Samsung DLNA TV, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Oberon

Re: Policy change for DVBLink up/downgrades between v3 and v

Postby tony_park » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 am

Hi Oberon,

does this also apply if we need to transfer licenses from one pc to another?

Thanks
Tony
Windows 7 Media Center Embedded in Evolve Media Lifestation
Intel i3, AMD 6450, 4GB,
Dreambox Clone - CCCam 2.1.4,
2xTBS 6981 dual S2 tuner,
Plugin: Acamd 0.6.2.0
TV Source 4.6.0
tony_park

Postby Oberon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:25 am

No. License transfer between PCs was and stays free of charge.
Server: Synology DS214Play, DVBSky S960CI Astra 28/23/19 (CanalDigitaal subscription), TeVii s660 Amos 4/Sirius, DVBLink TVSource 5.0.0
Clients: AsRock ION 330 Win7 with XBMC 13.1, Raspberry Pi with XBMC 13.1, Samsung DLNA TV, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Oberon

Postby tony_park » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 am

Thanks for confirming :-)
Windows 7 Media Center Embedded in Evolve Media Lifestation
Intel i3, AMD 6450, 4GB,
Dreambox Clone - CCCam 2.1.4,
2xTBS 6981 dual S2 tuner,
Plugin: Acamd 0.6.2.0
TV Source 4.6.0
tony_park

Postby toodlers1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 pm

DVBLOGIC with all due respect,I suggest as client before charging and shutting the down the only workable option which is version 3.2.1

you should fix version 4.0.1 slow changing channels and is not working properly it doesnt connect with ios app, crash at start and every now an then shows UPDATE PLAYREADY message

version 4.1 doesnt work at all, WMC shows UPDATE PLAYREADY every channel I try watch live, no support has been able to solve this issue, the only "solution" (workaround) was to downgrade to 3.2.1.

I pay for a licence of 4 that is not working at all as promised.
toodlers1

Postby JoDa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:44 am

Hi,

I'm fully in line with toodlers1 statement above...purchase a license a few months ago...upgraded to 4.1 but never got it working correctly. Being plagued by playready errors all the time.
Was planning the Christmas holiday for working on the issue and eventually downgrading to 3.2.1...
Personally i thing it's ridiculous to pay for a downgrade (not talking about upgrading)...

JoDa
Windows 2008R2 server - AMD Phenon Quad core - 8Gb - 2 * FireDTV DVB-C tuner
2 clients running Windows 7 / 2 XBOX360 Extenders
Cable provider : Ziggo Netherlands
JoDa

Postby Oberon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:53 am

Those who prefer v3 for one or another reason may continue using it.
We offer 20 days trial period for all our products for everyone to see whether it works for every particular user.
We have offered free upgrade for recently bought v3 as a grace period when v4 should have been released shortly or was just released. Now that v4 is almost three months on a market there is no need for this grace period anymore.
Oberon

Postby jscott » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 pm

The whole thread is a bit depressing. Grace periods are always welcome but the statement against charging for a downgrade rings true. I realize that it takes your time to enable the downgrade activation and time is money but the only reason it takes any time at all is the iron-fisted activation policy you have. I say that allowing downgrades for people trying to get a stable service is a good trade for customers willing to tolerate such inflexible, single-use activations. They are paying customers and not moochers after all. That should be worth something.

Anytime you allow any type of flexibility (like anytime downgrades) there will be abusers. How about not punishing everyone because a few morons are going to try to flip-flop between versions. Deal with the flip-floppers by identifying clear patterns of abuse and then charging THOSE folks for re-activation.

I say all of that because I bought 3.x a few weeks before 4.x came out. I was happy to get a free upgrade but 4.x has never worked as well as 3.x for me. It is very unstable and I have to make excuses to my girlfriend every other day why something didn't record. I've been thinking about downgrading for over a month but I'm hoping a more stable version of 4.x will be released. My main hesitation is not wanting to be locked into 3x if or when 4x stabilizes. Now I read this and find I will be locked either way. That--like I said--is depressing.
jscott

Postby Oberon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:40 pm

jscott wrote:The whole thread is a bit depressing. Grace periods are always welcome but the statement against charging for a downgrade rings true. I realize that it takes your time to enable the downgrade activation and time is money but the only reason it takes any time at all is the iron-fisted activation policy you have. I say that allowing downgrades for people trying to get a stable service is a good trade for customers willing to tolerate such inflexible, single-use activations. They are paying customers and not moochers after all. That should be worth something.

Anytime you allow any type of flexibility (like anytime downgrades) there will be abusers. How about not punishing everyone because a few morons are going to try to flip-flop between versions. Deal with the flip-floppers by identifying clear patterns of abuse and then charging THOSE folks for re-activation.

I say all of that because I bought 3.x a few weeks before 4.x came out. I was happy to get a free upgrade but 4.x has never worked as well as 3.x for me. It is very unstable and I have to make excuses to my girlfriend every other day why something didn't record. I've been thinking about downgrading for over a month but I'm hoping a more stable version of 4.x will be released. My main hesitation is not wanting to be locked into 3x if or when 4x stabilizes. Now I read this and find I will be locked either way. That--like I said--is depressing.

You have a purchased v3 product and v4 that you got as free upgrade. You may use any of them as long as you like. What is all this fuss about?
Oberon

Postby NielsR » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Oberon wrote:You have a purchased v3 product and v4 that you got as free upgrade. You may use any of them as long as you like. What is all this fuss about?

I may be a stupid IT Engineer working with IT for the last 30 years, I am sorry Oberon, but I also do not quite understand what you mean with this forum entry.
Maybe you should try to explain it otherwise what you mean, on what is allowed and what it not.

I also misunderstood and hurried to upgrade my 3.2 version to V4.1 (Even if I paid for the upgrade nearly a ? year ago).
I also experienced a lot of problems with 4.0 and went back to 3.2.
But I must admit that after the upgrade to v4.1 it really works well. Not seen any problems at all.
NielsR

Postby jscott » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:27 am

You have a purchased v3 product and v4 that you got as free upgrade. You may use any of them as long as you like. What is all this fuss about?

Hmm. Now I'm really confused. I thought I explained my point pretty well and I thought I understood you to clearly state that 4 to 3 downgrades would be frozen as of 1 Jan. You say I can use either but I am only allowed 1 activation for either except for upgrades. Unless I misunderstand what I'm seeing when I view my account status, it says I have 0 activations available. When I got my new Dell Media Center I had to wait for support to provide a new activation before I could use my tuners with it. Maybe that's why I'm confused by the whole activation process.

So are you saying the downgrade policy only applies to people who originally purchased 4.x? And that I can uninstall 4x and reinstall 3x with my old license with no activation problems? And further, if I change my mind I can go back and try 4x again at a later time such as when new versions are released? If that is the case then I stand corrected, Sir.

Incidentally, I wrote my first post before seeing that 4.1 had been posted. In fact, I was checking to see if there were any upgrades when I saw the original post. I must say that 4.1 is working much better.
jscott

Postby mike180 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:15 pm

jscott wrote:

Hmm. Now I'm really confused. I thought I explained my point pretty well and I thought I understood you to clearly state that 4 to 3 downgrades would be frozen as of 1 Jan. You say I can use either but I am only allowed 1 activation for either except for upgrades. Unless I misunderstand what I'm seeing when I view my account status, it says I have 0 activations available. When I got my new Dell Media Center I had to wait for support to provide a new activation before I could use my tuners with it. Maybe that's why I'm confused by the whole activation process.

So are you saying the downgrade policy only applies to people who originally purchased 4.x? And that I can uninstall 4x and reinstall 3x with my old license with no activation problems? And further, if I change my mind I can go back and try 4x again at a later time such as when new versions are released? If that is the case then I stand corrected, Sir.

Incidentally, I wrote my first post before seeing that 4.1 had been posted. In fact, I was checking to see if there were any upgrades when I saw the original post. I must say that 4.1 is working much better.

If you have a licence key for version 4, and a key for version 3, you can use whichever you like, and you will even be able to email support and have your Hardware ID reset on either of those keys. What oberon is saying is that customers who have bought V3.x but did not choose to go and get a V4 licence key in their account, will no longer be able to do so for free. Those of us who had 3.x and bought V4 for the upgrade fee will always be able to go back to 3.x if we want, as we still have a key.

thats how i understand it anyway, if i'm wrong i'm sure oberon will be along to correct me!
mike180

Postby marvin-miller » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 am

It sounds like the real problem here is that version 4 is full of problems and because of this people want to downgrade to the previous version because it works.
Maybe it's just me...but wouldn't that mean that the developers could address the entire v4 => v3 downgrade issue by just fixing all the problems with their software that are causing people to want to downgrade in the first place?

Just sayin....
marvin-miller

Postby Iraq » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Can anyone post a link as to where I can find v. 4.1 which is apparently working so well for others? I'm still only seeing 4.02 with which I get a multitude of PlayReadyberror messages. I'd like to give it a try.
Iraq

Postby Oberon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:40 am

Iraq wrote:Can anyone post a link as to where I can find v. 4.1 which is apparently working so well for others? I'm still only seeing 4.02 with which I get a multitude of PlayReadyberror messages. I'd like to give it a try.

Where do you see 4.02? 4.1 is available from our website.
Oberon

Next

Return to General