Start/stop of DVBLink & migrate TV recordings

DVBLink TV Server for Mac OS X is discussed here!

Start/stop of DVBLink & migrate TV recordings

Postby jeroen020 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm playing around with DVBLink on my Mac mini and liking it so far. It's much more responsive than my Synology DS413, does transcoding, and as my Mac min is on 24/7 it's a great and easier to manage platform for a TV back-end.

Now two questions:
1) I would like to migrate my recorded TV files (.ts) from my Synology to my Mac. I've read the following process:

If you still have your old DVBLInk installation working - this is the way to do it:
- stop dvblink server package on the old NAS
- stop dvblink server package on the new NAS
- copy the complete content of the DVBLink share from your old NAS to the DVBLink share on a new NAS (RecordedTV, database folders are the most important). If prompted - overwrite files in the destination directory.
- start DVBLink server on the new NAS. Now all recordings from the old NAS should be visible on the new one.

Is this the correct way to do it, with the Mac mini being the "new NAS"?

2) I can't seem to find how to start/stop the DVBLink application/service. It doesn't show up in the Activity Monitor. How do I do this on a Mac?

Also, it would be useful if there would perhaps be a little task bar helper to start/stop the service and for a shortcut to start the management web interface etc.
jeroen020

Re: Start/stop of DVBLink & migrate TV recordings

Postby Oberon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:14 pm

Yes, that's a correct way of transferring recorded content to a Mac. The database and recordings are located in /Users/Shared/DVBLink.
To stop/start DVBLink you can currently only use a manual method of starting command line prompt, navigate to DVBLink installation folder
Code: Select all
cd /Applications/DVBLink/Contents/dvblink

and execute top stop:
sudo ./stop.sh

and to start:
sudo ./start2.sh
Oberon

Postby jeroen020 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:57 am

Hmm I can't get it to work. Stopped DVBLink on both the Synology & Mac, copied the RecordedTV & database files and the Mac still shows its previous recordings after starting DVBLink again.

Perhaps it's because on my Mac mini I'm using a non-default location for the recorder (/Volumes/6TB-MyBook/RecordedTV)?
jeroen020

Postby Oberon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 am

No, the location should not matter as only file name is used.
More importantly, if your mac still shows the old recordings, it means that database file was not overwritten properly.
You may copy database folder and recorded tv/thmubnail files separately to make sure that they are transferred properly.
Oberon

Postby solomalee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 pm

jeroen020 wrote:Hmm I can't get it to work. Stopped DVBLink on both the Synology & Mac, copied the RecordedTV & database files and the Mac still shows its previous recordings after starting DVBLink again.

Perhaps it's because on my Mac mini I'm using a non-default location for the recorder (/Volumes/6TB-MyBook/RecordedTV)?

Hi Jeroen,

I wonder have you though about or tried recording to a network share on a NAS. I might look at the OSX version, but I'd prefer the recorded TV storage to not be directly attached to the Mini.

Otherwise, it sounds like everything is stable for you?

How is transcoding and access to Live and Recorded TV from outside your home network - is it glitch free?

Thanks

Solo

Tuner:Octopus NET (SATIP)
Server:Synology DS1010 DSM 5.2,DVBlink 6.0,Digiguide EPG 6.0
Client:RPI3 LibreElec 8.0.1, KODI 17.1, DVBlink addon
solomalee

Postby the_man » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:20 pm

solomalee wrote:
jeroen020 wrote:Hmm I can't get it to work. Stopped DVBLink on both the Synology & Mac, copied the RecordedTV & database files and the Mac still shows its previous recordings after starting DVBLink again.

Hi Jeroen,

I wonder have you though about or tried recording to a network share on a NAS. I might look at the OSX version, but I'd prefer the recorded TV storage to not be directly attached to the Mini.

How is transcoding and access to Live and Recorded TV from outside your home network - is it glitch free?

Thanks

Solo

Maybe it will interesting for you:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=30179&p=106337&hilit=recording+path#p106337
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby jeroen020 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:41 pm

solomalee wrote:I wonder have you though about or tried recording to a network share on a NAS. I might look at the OSX version, but I'd prefer the recorded TV storage to not be directly attached to the Mini.

I thought about it, but with the cheap costs of USB drives I figured that was the easiest. I got me a 6TB MyBook USB3 disk and that works well, I don't hear it and it gets over 100MB/sec and costs less than a similar drive without the USB enclosure. I guess you can mount a NAS disk on your mac, or perhaps use iSCSI, but I haven't tried that myself.

It works well, is stable and more responsive than earlier setups I tried (Synology DS413 + Raspberry Pi 2 client).
Haven't tried remote viewing of TV and recordings yet, when I do I'll let you know how it goes.
jeroen020

Postby solomalee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:24 pm

What are you using for a client?
- still the RPi?
Solo

solomalee

Postby jeroen020 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:29 pm

solomalee wrote:What are you using for a client?
- still the RPi?

My RPi gathering dust... I use the Mac Mini itself, it's hooked up to my AV receiver, so I use Kodi on the Mac.
May switch to the new Apple TV client if that turns out to be a good fit.
Also use DLNA to watch DVBLink recordings on a secondary TV in the kitchen.
jeroen020

Postby solomalee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Good to know about your client. I'm a long time 24x7 Windows Media Center user with 3 Xbox 360s as extenders (almost never used for any games). I installed Windows 7 on a Mac Mini so I always had an alternative platform - good decision it turns out now 8)

Raspberry Pi and Kodi is OK, but is still a long way off the ease of use the family are used to with Windows Media Center
I'm also very excited about what the TVOS version of DVBlink might offer.

Looks like I could be testing the OSX version at the weekend :shock:

solomalee

Return to DVBLink TV Server for Mac OS X platform