Maybe a bit different approach for Plex Plugin?

This forum is for legacy clients.

Maybe a bit different approach for Plex Plugin?

Postby xxxhonyyy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi,

I'm pretty new holder of licences for DVBlogic TVSource (using Digital Devices S2 tuners) and DVBLink Connect! Server from yesterday. I would like to say that I'm a big fan of Plex and generally like the idea of having one "box" for everything - all my movies, music, photos and also the TV indeed. I think Plex is simply great for the first part... and I really have a big hoping in DVBlogic to sort out the last bit.

I must say I was not very much impressed with DVBlogic performance from start after having tested all available clients to me (iOS / Windows Media Center / XBMC / PLEX / HTTP / DLNA on PS3) - the speed of switching between the TV channels was not great and the front ends were very buggy. Yesterday it was the first time I've tested VLC Media Player. I've opened the stream http://localhost:8080/mobile/?command=get_playlist_m3u and got the stream on my screen within a second. I thought wow! What about the switching to other channels? It took from 1 to 3 seconds and I thought this is great!

Guys, if you manage to get the speed on the PLEX with a bit smarter GUI that you have (please get some inspiration from Enigma2)... I will love you forewer.

I really like the idea and hope DVBlogic will get there! Fingers crossed!

Kind Regards

Tomas
xxxhonyyy

Re: Maybe a bit different approach for Plex Plugin?

Postby wally007 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Plex channel shortcomings have mostly to do with Plex' channel framework.

But you're right, DVBlink is great TV backend but none of the front-ends is upgrade over run-of-the-mill setup box. Only front end that has any sort of WAF is MCE which is not being improved anymore but is still best front end for live TV.

So if you want best Live TV , get Windows 7 or Windows 8 with MCE with Dvblink Virtual tuners and install Plex HT ( dont bother with channel). Plex will instal MCE main menu shortcut so you'll have easy time jumping in and out of MCE.
wally007

Postby xxxhonyyy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:56 pm

I have DVBlogic running on W7 and have tested WMC... yep.. it's ok but I don't want to touch my PC while sitting at my TV besides after putting a channel on WMC the first 2 seconds of the video is a bit weird (kind of slower, the video is not fluent). Plex has an amazing remote control and I simply believe if DVBlogic puts more efford into this... it will work! Maybe I should be asking Plex to figure this out. On the other hand, DVBlogic might be interested to get this right as there's many Plex users interested to have live TV on and it's their business, right?

Technically, I'm pretty certain everybody knows this... if you put (http://<your server>:8080/mobile/?command=get_playlist_m3u) on your browser, the output is a bunch of links like the one bellow.

#EXTM3U #EXTINF:-1,-1 - CT sport HD http://10.0.79.200:8081/dvblink/direct? ... l=10050000

If you only put the http link on your soft like VLC plater to strean, you will get the picture on in a second and I believe this can't be difficult to be included on the Plex.

Till it's sorted... I will probably use my PS3 as TV client or look for a little box like Boxee or Roku that will give me both - Plex and DVBlogic front-end.

I've recently tested my Plex with Chromecast and apart from it's still a bit buggy and the picture quality is not 100% on a big plazma TV... it does work and it's not bad. If there was a box that could take the stream from both Plex and DVBlogic having them controlled from a tablet / phone than it would be another great approach and I would very much appriate from DVBLogic guys.
xxxhonyyy

Postby wally007 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:31 am

With current Plex channel frame work, i believe it's not easy to implement fully featured PVR.

Nevertheless, I also agree that DVBLink should get in touch with "somebody", Plex/Media Browser/Media Portal to create & accommodate front-end to their backend. What good is great backend if there's no way of interacting with it.

I see working together with Plex devs as win-win for everybody. If you want proper Live TV, you will have to shell out money for DVBlink backend (PMS plugin) and if you want it on all Plex clients, you will shell out money for PlexPass.
wally007

Postby xxxhonyyy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 am

I fully agree with what you say - Plex will win DVBlink not only front end for the TV but many other things like Chromecast compatibility that many people are after... and well made clients for all the platforms! DVBlogic - come on!!! ;-) If you let plex uproach it their own way... you will lose the game!

I have PlexPass.. and will start pushing this on Plex side as well.. hopefully it will bring some fruit ;-)

Anyway, do you have same problem on WMC with the video like me? It's slow for the first 1-2 seconds, than it gets up the speed and is fluent. I have Digital Devices S2 card, all other clients are ok. I was also looking for a decent remote controll iOS based... any experience with that?
xxxhonyyy

Postby wally007 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Yes, I have the same 1-2 seconds stutter .... i got used to it and it doesnt bother me that much.

I tried a few iOS remote controls and didnt like them. I like physical buttons remotes and ease of use of standard windows remote. Yes, it does not look very nice but its plug and play.
wally007

Return to Legacy clients