Live TV stutter / Jerky / Not Smooth / glitchy / shadowy

This forum is for legacy clients.

Live TV stutter / Jerky / Not Smooth / glitchy / shadowy

Postby banhuk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:49 am

Sooooooooo...

Recorded Tv seems smooth, but live tv is very jerky.

I love the simplicity of DVBLink channel for Plex and they way it works with my synology backend for recordings and live tv, but unless I'm watching a recording, Live TV seems to glitchy/jerky.

Is this a limitation of dvblink?? Is the a fix or something i can do?

I love my setup, but live TV is used a lot in my household.

I don't want to switch back to XBMC!! :-)

Any help appreciated.

banhuk

<edit> I thought I'd add that I don't get this stuttering with XBMC, WMC, Mediaportal, VLC, etc..
banhuk

Re: Live TV stutter / Jerky / Not Smooth / glitchy / shadowy

Postby banhuk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:56 pm

After further testing:

- Seems to be only certain channels at certain times.

- Channel 9 (Brisbane Australia) always seems to do it.

- It`s more of a shadowy/trail/blur

Why would this happen on some channels and not others?

Why would this happen with some shows and not others?

Thanks
banhuk
banhuk

Postby smacrae » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

You'll find multiple frequencies (not sure if that's the right term) per channel...for example channel 7 uses 7Mhz, 77Mhz etc. from memory...anyhow you might need to fiddle on the DVBLogic Server to ensure you're using the optimal one for your area....I had the same issue with Channel 9 in Melbourne...changed frequencies and it's all good now...
smacrae

Postby banhuk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:46 am

Thanks for your reply mate..

However, the shadows, etc don't occur when running from the same backend to a different front end...

So I assume that would narrow it down to Plex, rather than the backend??

<edit> also I don't think channel 9 (brisbane) has multiple frequencies like 7 does..
banhuk

Postby smacrae » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:58 am

hmmm...ok...right you are...

Not sure then sorry, I don't think it would be a Plex issue per se...are you saying that if you use XBMC (for example) to the same DVBLogic/Synology setup it works a-ok?

Have you trialled different version of PlexHT and also the older Plex client?
smacrae

Postby banhuk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:59 am

Postby smacrae » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:58 am

hmmm...ok...right you are...

Not sure then sorry, I don't think it would be a Plex issue per se...are you saying that if you use XBMC (for example) to the same DVBLogic/Synology setup it works a-ok?

That's right.. At the moment I have DVBLogic/Synology backend and when I use a different frontend (WMC is what I'm using for the best picture) I not only get no shadows, i get a much sharper image.

Have you trialled different version of PlexHT and also the older Plex client?

No... Thought about it, but I guess the idea is to be happy with a product before you give a company some money :-) (not far off taking the risk :-))

Perhaps WMC supports my chipset (HD4000) better than Plex??

WMC stops the shadows I get with Plex (depending on the channel/program being broadcast), but WMC also looks so much sharper and crisper than Plex on any channel.. Again this is only live TV.. Movies are fine
banhuk

Postby smacrae » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:28 am

Try XBMC with the free add-on for it...not the Add-on supplied by DVBLogic...the XBMC Add-On community plug-in for DVBLogic...I use this and the quality is excellent...as a trial to see if this addresses your picture issue....

Personally I use XBMC with PleXBMC (to allow Plex integration)....the reason I use this is the channels for SBS/ABC/Apple Triallers etc. are far more stable and supported than the Plex ones...

You get the best of both worlds.....

You can get the Add-On here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PV ... nd/DVBLink

XBMC here:
www.xbmc.org

I'm using Gotham from the latest nightly builds (Version 13) and it's working perfectly:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=development_builds
smacrae

Postby banhuk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks again for your interest and help smacrae

I actually had XBMC running fine with DVBlink before I made the move to PLEX only front end.. It did end up smoothing out my shadow problems, however the picture just never looked as good as WMC (although still ok)..

I had never installed PLEX with XBMC before, but I am happy with my XBMC setup now. I have PleXBMC running on XBMC with dvblink backend like yourself..

Aeon skin allows me to put PLEX on the main menu and remove the normal movie/music/picture/etc widgets, so the setup is as good as it can be..

Funny, but if I use the DVBLINK TV Channel on Plex DVBlink plugin within PleXBMC on XBMC (phew!), the shadows go away.. Haha...

I also bought a FLIRC and programmed my Panasonic TV remote to control XBMC.. Thinking of adding a Pulse 8 HDMI CEC now to complete my setup..

Fun stuff :-)

banhuk
banhuk

Postby smacrae » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:31 am

In terms of remotes (because I use SONOS for my Music) and because I have a BOSE surround sound (whereby I don't want to run the TV when I am just playing Music) I like to have different things programmed in a more complex way...so I use a combination of a Harmony Remote for devices and some limited key press selections and then EventGhost running on my Windows based NUC's (which I have at each TV)....

I'm using Amber because it is fully PleXBMC aware (much better than Aeon because of full integration)....

Worth looking in to, if you get Pecinko's latest Amber Skin from his GIT and also the latest fork of PleXBMC from the forked GIT (3.2.5 rather than 3.2.2 which was Hippojay's latest before he became too busy) then you get the complete Plex experience such as OnDeck and Recently Added in a MediaStream type of look but with a bunch or nicer goodies...worth taking a look.

CapturFiles-30-26-2013_12.26.18.jpg
CapturFiles-30-26-2013_12.26.18.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 14832 times
smacrae

Postby banhuk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Sounds nice..

Will have a play and let you know how I go in a few days..

I must say now that I am customizing XBMC a lot more, I am really enjoying the experience.

Thanks for the tips mate.. :-)
banhuk

Postby banhuk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 am

Got it all installed... Very nice..

I couldn't find 3.2.5, but 3.2.2 worked fine (it still has everything as far as i could see)

All of my movies/pics/music/etc now link directly to main plex server from the main XBMC home menu page now.. It's quite clever how seamless the integration is

It would be nice to link directly to PleXBMC's tv guide so that I could setup series recording without having to go through all the plex menu's (although i guess i could set up an autoscript). but that's just being picky..

Have you got a link to 3.2.5??

cheers
banhuk

Postby smacrae » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:11 am

Sure, here's the link for PleXBMC 3.2.5:
https://github.com/pecinko/plugin.video ... -endpoints

It's Pecinko's mod'ed version on his GIT, just download and install the ZIP within XBMC

Make sure you're using the latest Amber:

https://github.com/pecinko/skin.amber

Again download the ZIP from GIT and unzipped and place in the right spot

-SM
smacrae

Postby banhuk » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:07 am

Hey does all this Amber skin/PleXbmc stuff work with openelec???

If so are there any limitations??

If not... why not?? :-)

Thanks again

banhuk
banhuk

Postby smacrae » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 am

Not sure, I haven't used it on OpenElec but was going to try soon...from what I've heard the latest Amber and PleXBMC 3.2.5 supports OpenElec...
smacrae

Postby banhuk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:01 am

smacrae wrote:Not sure, I haven't used it on OpenElec but was going to try soon...from what I've heard the latest Amber and PleXBMC 3.2.5 supports OpenElec...

Just a quick post to say that I've been using openelec for a while now (moved away from win7/8) and it works fine with PleXBMC and the Amber skin...

And if you haven't already seen it smacrae, I thought you may be interested in this:

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/to ... ht-distro/

It's an openelec style version of Plex (ie a Plex distro)..

I haven't tried it yet as "openelec + PleXbmc + amber skin" is a winner for me :-)

Hooroo
banhuk

Next

Return to Legacy clients