Tuner card disappears after sleep/wake

Post your questions about DVBLink products running on Windows platform here!

Tuner card disappears after sleep/wake

Postby m1maj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:47 pm

I have two tuner cards on my Windows 7 system, a BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2 card and a Tenow TBS6981 DVB-S2 card. Recently, the satellite card has "disappeared" from my system when I go through a sleep/wake cycle. I have recently upgraded from v4 to v5, and this certainly didn't happen before the upgrade. However I am not certain that it started happening immediately after the upgrade.

In more detail, I boot my machine and everything works fine, all sources have associated devices and work. I then do "sleep" (actually hybrid sleep), and then wake it again later. I usually use wake-on-LAN but it seems to make no difference how I do the wakeup. After this, terrestrial channels work but satellite channels give "Sorry, cannot display this channel either because there is a technical problem or no TV signal". If I visit the sources configuration page, it says "Device not present" for the satellite sources. If I go to the Windows device manager, the card is missing from the "Sound, video and game controllers" section. I can't find any way to get it back without rebooting. However if I do reboot, the device comes back and works fine again.

I tried upgrading the device driver to the latest version (2.0.1.7) but this has not helped.

I have two reasons for not wanting to reboot frequently. The first is that I do have quite a lot of software on the machine which runs startup tasks, and a reboot takes rather a long time. The other is that I like to accumulate windows on the desktop and retain their state from one day to the next. I also want sleep/wake to work for timer recordings.

I'm completely mystified by why this has suddenly started happening, and why it only affects one of the two cards. Does anybody have any ideas on what might be causing it, how to diagnose it, and how to fix it? It is making DVBlink almost unusable for me.
m1maj

Re: Tuner card disappears after sleep/wake

Postby Oberon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:00 am

Most probably, if tuner is not present in the Device Manager upon wakeup, it is related to the tuner drivers.
But to be sure, please set log level to info and, when the problem happens again, attach zipped log files here.
Oberon

Postby m1maj » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Yes, I thought it might be related to the tuner driver, which is why I upgraded to the latest version.

I'm attaching a log. I rebooted yesterday, used both tuner cards, then put the machine to sleep.

I woke it again this afternoon and resumed the session, and the DVB-S2 card is "missing".
Attachments
dvblink-log-20140618-1655.zip
(114.74 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
m1maj

Postby Oberon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Seems definitely related to the drivers/hardware. There was no activity at the moment that PC went to standby, the standby procedure was completed successfully by a server.
Oberon

Postby m1maj » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Oberon wrote:Seems definitely related to the drivers/hardware. There was no activity at the moment that PC went to standby, the standby procedure was completed successfully by a server.

Thanks for looking at this (and sorry for the delay in responding - I've been away).

I have to say that I agree with you that it looks like drivers or hardware, which I guess means it's not your problem. I suppose the sudden onset of the problem suggests it might be hardware, but it seems odd that the card seems fine after a reboot.

I found a thread on a completely different forum

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f&start=20

which seems like a very similar issue, but it doesn't really help much on solving the problem.
m1maj

Postby aderlopas » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:43 pm

If I remember correctly, on windows you can setup specific USB devices not to enter deep sleep.

Do either:

Go into device manager, then click on Universal Serial Bus Controler, then click on each of the USB Root Hub, then click on the power management tab. make sure the check mark in "Allow computer to turn off device" DOES NOT HAVE A CHECK. do that for every USB Root Hub device in the device manager. your external hard drive will no longer shut off.

Or:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/arc ... entmessage

Source: http://superuser.com/questions/663511/w ... usb-drives
aderlopas

Postby aderlopas » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:27 pm

You also need to set in Advanced Power Options the USB selective Suspend Setting to Disable.
aderlopas

Postby m1maj » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:23 pm

I finally have closure on this thread.

For ages I just lived with the problem, rebooting as required to get the tuner card to work. But even this became unreliable, and the whole business was very frustrating. Eventually the card stopped being recognised at all, however often I rebooted.

I decided that the progressive nature of the problem implied that it had to be decaying hardware. I took the plunge and replaced it with a DVBSky S952 card. This worked straight away and has been entirely reliable across reboots and sleep/hibernate cycle.

The DVBSky card was about half the price of the TBS equivalent. Perhaps there is something that the TBS can do that the DVBSky can't, but if so I haven't found it yet. It certainly does everything I want and I am very pleased with it so far.
m1maj

Return to DVBLink Server on Windows platform