Multi stream from single transponder.

Post your questions about DVBLink products running on Windows platform here!

Re: Multi stream from single transponder.

Postby yamcenutzer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:13 pm

I'll let someone else try this one first :-)
DVBLink TVSource 6, 4x DigitalDevices S2 Tuners, Win7x64, Dq77MK, e3-1225, 8GB, WMC local, WMC-remote, testing KODI usabilty for TV since 2012 - still failing...
yamcenutzer

Postby bruno71 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:20 pm

@Yamcenutzer: Ok, so I did it and it works fine.
@Oberon: Thanks! I am back to happy-customer state. :-)

Also gave transponder multistream a go and first impression is that it works nicely. Tested as follows:

Watched simultaneously from same transponder:
  • 1 encrypted HD channel on main TV (WMC)
  • 1 encrypted HD channel on other TV (KODI)
Both ran nice and smooth.

Also tried this:
  • Recorded one HD channel through WMC
  • Simultaneously watched other HD channel from same transponder on same WMC
No problem with live stream and the recording looked good afterwards.
bruno71

Postby yamcenutzer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:48 am

Yeah, well, I also did it :-)

I noticed the limitations with WMC:
I have 4 tuners, so I tried first with 3 streams on the first tuner, giving a total of 6.
That worked both with local wmc and remote

Then I thought, OK give all of them 3 streams.
The resulting total of 12 streams seemed to NOT work with wmc clients very well, (no available tuners).
Note: I did not reset the WMC's, maybe I should have done that,

Anyway I now have a working setup with 2 streams per tuner, resulting in 8 total, and that seems to match the 8 (virtual) tuners for WMC. Funny it doesn't care about the 'unlimited' FTA streams.
The limitation is now with the plugin (it can't always get the CWs in time). The HW (disk, cpu) on the server seems to be good enough for 8 HD streams ( 8-12 Mbps), 6 encrypted, 2 fta.

Also note that obviously each WMC client will only be able to open only 4 streams (one for each physical tuner I actually have available). That seems to be hardcoded into the WMC interface.

Funny thing I encountered: while playing with a non-wmc client (KODI) and the webinterface, I got a BSOD while deleting a recording in the web browser. the minidump suggests an unhandled exception somewhere in the tuner driver (dd.sys). It seems the recording was actually still going on(??) when I tried to delete the file.
Anyway, I'keep an eye on how things go.
So far looks good. Nice work.
DVBLink TVSource 6, 4x DigitalDevices S2 Tuners, Win7x64, Dq77MK, e3-1225, 8GB, WMC local, WMC-remote, testing KODI usabilty for TV since 2012 - still failing...
yamcenutzer

Postby DNC » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:14 am

Oberon wrote:DVBLink TVSource build 11225 (Windows only) fixes the issue with non-working plugins.

Confirmed! Thanks a lot for your work!
Multi streaming for encrypted channels from single transponder works fine. Tested up to 3 HD streams per tuner on a twin-tuner digital-devices cine S2 v5 with all 6 streams simultan flawlessly :)

@yamcenutzer: on my setup i'm sometimes accounter a bsod as well stopping the dvblink_server while an active stream is running. i've no solution at the moment. (vielleicht können wir uns darüber mal offline austauschen? )
DNC

Postby yamcenutzer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:08 pm

@DNC: can you get more than 8 streams (fta/encrypted) on wmc?
BTW, I also have dd tuners (2 of them)
yamcenutzer

Postby yamcenutzer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm

It seems DVBLogic has opened a can of worms here ... :-)

So after playing around with this feature for a few days, I still don't know how to use, or if it is indeed dangerous.

It has always been mentioned that it doesn't work (or not work well) with wmc clients. Which is a pity, since wmc is the only proper client actually capable of consuming multiple streams. I guess this has historical reasons of how the wmc client was implemented.
I have however seen WMC clients using it, both local and remote.
It seems to work for sometime, then again it doesn't. The question is, will it break anything else? Is this expected behaviour?

Even for non wmc clients (aka various streaming sinks, e.g kodi), it works upto a limit that is well below the capabilities of the server CPU/disk.
the server itself can also not handle an unlimited number. Initially I managed 6 encrypted + 2 fta, but that doesn't always work. At first I thought the plugin was not upto the job, but I've verified (with a fast emu) that that is not the case. It looks more as if the plugin hosts are somehow interfering with each other, (ok not the hosts, but the manager part, which talks to the plugins). I.e. sometimes it works, then it doesn't then again it does....
Which is why I suspect, I might actually be using it in the wrong way.
A better configuration guide might be nice in this case.
Maybe someone (oberon) can elaborate what this feature is meant for, and what it cannot do. I at least have observed different behaviour for wmc/kodi/fta/plugin streams in all combinations.
My setup is 4 sat tuners on the server, currently configured to deliver 'unlimited' fta/2 encrypted streams per TP. Each source has a plugins and plugins1 subfolder with identical content except for the user/pass.

What is also important to know, if I do configure this, then will a single wmc client anywhere on the net not only break, but also break other non-wmc clients?

Right now I am actually happy with my 4 Tuners (PC watchable TV content is being rapidly removed by the content mafia), so I would rather un-configure it than risk instabilities. How do I do that, there seem to be multiple ways:
on the advanced source page:
- enable the multi-stream check box and then select 1 for FTA/encrypted,
- disable the multistream check box, ignoring the number for fta/encrypted
- disable the multistream check box, and then select 1 for FTA/encrypted, delete all the pluginsxx subfolders under each source....

Cheers,
yamcenutzer

Postby Oberon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:03 pm

In short - streaming multiple channels from the same transponder does not apply to MCE, because MCE cannot do more than it does without it. At least not in a guaranteed way.
For example, if you have a single tuner and 3 channels on the same transponder, DVBLink recorder can record all of them at the same time. MCE cannot, because by its architecture it does not know what it is and how to work with it. So MCE will only record one channel in this situation.
If you have several of the network MCE, talking to the same DVBLink server, they will use the multitransponder feature - but accidentally, rather than structurally.
Oberon

Postby yamcenutzer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:49 am

Yes i'm noticing that.
That means, however, that this configuration should in fact NOT be used, if you have a single WMC on your network, because that one WMC could fail at any given time.
Since I've currently not quite got rid of WMC, I'll disable this again.
Any plans on doing this for wmc anytime ?

And for those who don't use wmc (anywhere, ever again), what are the limitations there?
yamcenutzer

Postby Oberon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 am

It can be used as usual.
MCE will work at least the same as without multitransponder streaming support, but maybe even do more under certain circumstances.
Oberon

Postby piraeus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:42 am

Hi,
This is my first post in the forum. I have been testing dvblink since 2 weeks and I am globally satisfied and bought the licences.
Unfortunatelly I am unable to stream 2 channels from the same transponder from the same tuner (even FTA), I have tried different settings but there is certainly something wrong.
First stream opens on one computer with vlc
When I open the second stream on my second computer with vlc, it shows a video with "Sorry, all tuners are currently occupied by other clients"
My setup is the following
1. Quattro LNB
2. Multiswitch
3. Digital Devices Cine S2 v6.5 with 4 tuners (only 1 tuner actived in the sources as to test multi stream on that tuner)

My dvblogic setup:
Windows 7x64
DVBLink Server 5.1.0 11207 DVBLogic Free
DVBLink Connect! Server 5.1.0 11207 DVBLogic Registered
DVBLink for IPTV 5.1.0 11207 DVBLogic Registered
DVBLink TVSource 5.1.0 11019 DVBLogic Registered
In advance settings for TV source-1:
Number of simultaneously streamed channels from the same transponder
Enabled: YES
Encrypted channels:8
FTA channels:8

What am I doing wrong?
I especially don't understand as viewing two channels from the same transpoder is working flowless with another software

Many thanks for your help ;-)
Best
P
piraeus

Postby the_man » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:34 am

piraeus wrote:Hi,
This is my first post in the forum. I have been testing dvblink since 2 weeks and I am globally satisfied and bought the licences.
Unfortunatelly I am unable to stream 2 channels from the same transponder from the same tuner (even FTA), I have tried different settings but there is certainly something wrong.
First stream opens on one computer with vlc
When I open the second stream on my second computer with vlc, it shows a video with "Sorry, all tuners are currently occupied by other clients"

But can you watch two channels from the same transponder on the same PC (for instance open two VLC players and try to play, the same channel on both players; different channels from the same transponder)?
Also if you give me TeamViever access to your PC, where dvblink server is running, we can conduct some tests together.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby Oberon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 am

piraeus wrote:DVBLink TVSource 5.1.0 11019 DVBLogic Registered

Also, please update your TVSOurce version to the latest available. There were several fixes in it specifically for performance of the multitransponder streaming.
Oberon

Postby piraeus » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:09 am

All is working like a charm!....thanks to your help
I have upgraded the TVSource to the latest version and thanks to the_man I understood what I was doing wrong.
I have now been able to test the multi stream with encrypted channels and it works the way explained in this post.
My mistake was to:
1. try to watch the streams within firefox (which does not work)
2. copy and paste http links from mobile/?command=get_playlist_m3u into several vlc intances instead of simply opening the m3u playlist into each vlc player.

Thank you both for your help and the great work
P
piraeus

Postby piraeus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello,
I'm back continuing experiencing with the simultanious streams. My machine being quite powerful, I'm running at 25% processor capacity when watching 8 streams. Is it possible to increase the number of concurrent streams now that the new machines will endure it? How can I test this, I could buy a second licence, is it possible to install two instances of the server on one machine.
I have been looking of the forum for an answer but could not find one.
Many thanks for your help
Patrick
piraeus

Postby Oberon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Why would you need that many streams in home environment?
Oberon

PreviousNext

Return to DVBLink Server on Windows platform