Recording on multiple Path / Harddisk

Post your questions about DVBLink products running on Windows platform here!

Recording on multiple Path / Harddisk

Postby JTK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi *,

I am searching now for two hours with no results and hope you can help me ?
I'm using Mce with dvblink and the mc_ recorder setting. The MCE have 4 Harddisk / Partition.
The biggest one is for the Recordings. Sometimes I move the recordings to the other partitions to save space on the main recording partition.
Now I thinking about to say Goodbye to MCE, but my problem is, how I can access to the old records on the other partitions?
(After recoding the files in Dvblink format) And I don't really want to by a NAS with 16 TB :? .

Any Hints ?
Thank you very much.
Jtk
JTK

Re: Recording on multiple Path / Harddisk

Postby the_man » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way. At least as i know.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby btaroli » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 pm

I don’t think there’s a way to view recordings from multiple paths directly in DVBLink, but there are other tools like PLEX, Kodi, etc, etc that can.

I’ve been using a hybrid approach where for daily stuff I tend to watch directly through DVBLink app, but when I want to save something for longer term I have save profiles for moving and transcoding them for use in PLEX.
btaroli

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:03 am

btaroli wrote:I don’t think there’s a way to view recordings from multiple paths directly in DVBLink, but there are other tools like PLEX, Kodi, etc, etc that can.

I’ve been using a hybrid approach where for daily stuff I tend to watch directly through DVBLink app, but when I want to save something for longer term I have save profiles for moving and transcoding them for use in PLEX.

Just out of general curiosity - why don't you switch to Plex DVR and continue using DVBLink in combination with Plex?
Oberon

Postby btaroli » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 pm

I have wondered about giving it a try. But initially they didn’t support any of the tuners I had. I believe they have extended support to older HDHR, but they still don’t support USB tuners, of which I have one. I also use IPTV component to capture recordings from our cameras, and PLEX has no such capability.

I might play around with it but it’s a partial solution from my perspective. I could conceivably transition away from TVSource, but I’d still need IPTV or something else to replace that. I HAVE a working solution now, so I’m not highly incentivized to transition. Are DVBLogic considering exiting the market?
btaroli

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 pm

btaroli wrote: Are DVBLogic considering exiting the market?

Appreciate your opinion. No, we do not have any plans for exiting the market. On contrary, we are working on a new product that will be (to a certain extent) a DVBLink successor.
I was just curious about the reasons for you to stay with DVBLink if you can have it with Plex under a single roof. (Plex DVR, by the way, is built on top of DVBLink streaming stack:) )
Oberon

Postby btaroli » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Oberon wrote:... we are working on a new product that will be (to a certain extent) a DVBLink successor.

Exciting! Can’t wait to hear and see more!
Oberon wrote: I was just curious about the reasons for you to stay with DVBLink if you can have it with Plex under a single roof.

I might consider transitioning if PLEX could handle all my needs, but in reality it can’t at least for now. But I may play with it some and see. One thing I’d also really miss, frankly, is the Send To function that lets me decide how certain schedules will file away and/or transcode files. I, for example, leave short-term items in the default recording location. But stuff, like documentaries or children programs, I transcode for smaller size and file away in different places for PLEX to pick up.

One irritation I do have, and perhaps this might make a case for doing this in PLEX DVR, is that files are named in a way that the usual PLEX libraries can’t associate with series, seasons, and episodes. This is likely more an issue with how EPG data are handled. So I wind up always having to include DVBLink Send To destination folders as Video libraries in PLEX and not TV.
Oberon wrote:(Plex DVR, by the way, is built on top of DVBLink streaming stack:) )

I’m glad but not surprised to hear this. I thought it was awfully quick how they got to adding this rather large function to their stack! :D
btaroli

Return to DVBLink Server on Windows platform