Recording on multiple Path / Harddisk

Post your questions about DVBLink products running on Windows platform here!

Recording on multiple Path / Harddisk

Postby JTK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi *,

I am searching now for two hours with no results and hope you can help me ?
I'm using Mce with dvblink and the mc_ recorder setting. The MCE have 4 Harddisk / Partition.
The biggest one is for the Recordings. Sometimes I move the recordings to the other partitions to save space on the main recording partition.
Now I thinking about to say Goodbye to MCE, but my problem is, how I can access to the old records on the other partitions?
(After recoding the files in Dvblink format) And I don't really want to by a NAS with 16 TB :? .

Any Hints ?
Thank you very much.
Jtk
JTK

Re: Recording on multiple Path / Harddisk

Postby the_man » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way. At least as i know.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby btaroli » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 pm

I don’t think there’s a way to view recordings from multiple paths directly in DVBLink, but there are other tools like PLEX, Kodi, etc, etc that can.

I’ve been using a hybrid approach where for daily stuff I tend to watch directly through DVBLink app, but when I want to save something for longer term I have save profiles for moving and transcoding them for use in PLEX.
btaroli

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:03 am

btaroli wrote:I don’t think there’s a way to view recordings from multiple paths directly in DVBLink, but there are other tools like PLEX, Kodi, etc, etc that can.

I’ve been using a hybrid approach where for daily stuff I tend to watch directly through DVBLink app, but when I want to save something for longer term I have save profiles for moving and transcoding them for use in PLEX.

Just out of general curiosity - why don't you switch to Plex DVR and continue using DVBLink in combination with Plex?
Oberon

Postby btaroli » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 pm

I have wondered about giving it a try. But initially they didn’t support any of the tuners I had. I believe they have extended support to older HDHR, but they still don’t support USB tuners, of which I have one. I also use IPTV component to capture recordings from our cameras, and PLEX has no such capability.

I might play around with it but it’s a partial solution from my perspective. I could conceivably transition away from TVSource, but I’d still need IPTV or something else to replace that. I HAVE a working solution now, so I’m not highly incentivized to transition. Are DVBLogic considering exiting the market?
btaroli

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 pm

btaroli wrote: Are DVBLogic considering exiting the market?

Appreciate your opinion. No, we do not have any plans for exiting the market. On contrary, we are working on a new product that will be (to a certain extent) a DVBLink successor.
I was just curious about the reasons for you to stay with DVBLink if you can have it with Plex under a single roof. (Plex DVR, by the way, is built on top of DVBLink streaming stack:) )
Oberon

Postby btaroli » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Oberon wrote:... we are working on a new product that will be (to a certain extent) a DVBLink successor.

Exciting! Can’t wait to hear and see more!
Oberon wrote: I was just curious about the reasons for you to stay with DVBLink if you can have it with Plex under a single roof.

I might consider transitioning if PLEX could handle all my needs, but in reality it can’t at least for now. But I may play with it some and see. One thing I’d also really miss, frankly, is the Send To function that lets me decide how certain schedules will file away and/or transcode files. I, for example, leave short-term items in the default recording location. But stuff, like documentaries or children programs, I transcode for smaller size and file away in different places for PLEX to pick up.

One irritation I do have, and perhaps this might make a case for doing this in PLEX DVR, is that files are named in a way that the usual PLEX libraries can’t associate with series, seasons, and episodes. This is likely more an issue with how EPG data are handled. So I wind up always having to include DVBLink Send To destination folders as Video libraries in PLEX and not TV.
Oberon wrote:(Plex DVR, by the way, is built on top of DVBLink streaming stack:) )

I’m glad but not surprised to hear this. I thought it was awfully quick how they got to adding this rather large function to their stack! :D
btaroli

Postby afkdk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 am

Interesting discussion that I have a somewhat different opinion/solution to - so please read it as such...

I like DVBLink for it dedicated recording abilities - and don't like this "one tool/app for all purposes".
So I stay away (on purpose) from the tab for showing recordings - also due to the time it takes to show the huge amount of recordings that I have made.
I, too, am moving recordings away (or changing HDD) so the tab/functionality may also be completely confused about that (and therefore takes longer time to check/clean up).

So PLEASE, just like the DVB server approach, keep the functionality in modules - and improve the GUI by respecting this similarly.
I.e., only show the module (make it "visible") in the GUI interface when the module is chosen (bought).
This may include some kind of "light modules" that are stubs/stand-in modules that keep some minimal, basic functionality in the main interface - and possibly allow customization to link to 3rd party modules, e.g., VLC that I use for viewing all movies/recordings.

SO my suggestion (which I also suspect is the intention of the first suggestion above) it to use something else for catalogue/viewing the recordings, e.g., Plex, etc.
afkdk

Return to DVBLink Server on Windows platform