How to get DVBLink working with Android TV Live Channels

Discuss DVBLink mobile clients (for iOS, Android and WinPhone) here!

How to get DVBLink working with Android TV Live Channels

Postby woutf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi,

I came across a method on Reddit to get DVBLogic working with the built-in Live Channels-app on Android TV. Seeing that quite a few people were saddened by the fact that development on DVBLink Live was stopped, I thought I'd share it. For this to work you need to install the app TVIrl from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=by.stari4ek.tvirl. This app is able to link streams found in a .m3u-file to the Live Channels backend. You could point it directly to DVBLogic Server via http://yourserver:8100/mobile/?command=get_playlist_m3u, but I would recommend against it. You will probably get way too many channels, and you need to manually edit the .m3u for optimal effect. Best thing is to save it, edit it, and make it accessable to your Android TV-device via a network share or by copying it over. For it to work I had to create a unique client-id and replace the one that was already in the m3u (the string after "client=", I just used 12345). After that I sorted the lines in the m3u to my preference, mapped the xmlv-data and copied it to my Nvidia Shield.

It's working flawlessly at the moment, with both fta and encrypted channels and epg-data :) More details at the link below

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/5zg3lu/guide_to_watching_legal_iptv_on_your_android_tv/
woutf

Re: How to get DVBLink working with Android TV Live Channels

Postby Undutchable » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 am

Wow, thank you very much sharing with us, I will try this to my Shield and Synology Server.
If it ain't Dutch it ain't that much.
Undutchable

Postby maar10 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks a lot for sharing! I installed TVirl yesterday and it works great!
I now have EPG and Live TV integrated with the leanback interface and the dedicated buttons on the remote (TV, Guide, Discover, ch+, ch- and numeric 1 through 0) all work. It even plays 4k channels :D

TVirl is "work in progress" so no time shift or recording possibility yet. But this already makes me forget my previous Windows Media Center frontend I loved so much.

Cheers,
Maarten (Sony 49XD8305 Android TV).
maar10

Postby woutf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:11 am

Good to hear! What's your opinion on the speed with which it works? I love the integration, but channel switching for me is noticeably slower than directly through my tv.
woutf

Postby maar10 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 pm

woutf wrote:Good to hear! What's your opinion on the speed with which it works?

Yes, you're right, it is slower. I think 5-7 seconds for encrypted channels. I did reduce the buffersize to small. This gave a little improvement.
maar10

Postby maar10 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:25 am

Ok, I did some timings yesterday:

I have 5 seconds channel switching time. And it does not matter if the channel is SD, HD or UHD and also encrypted or FTA makes no difference.
I wonder if buffer size can be reduces even more because I do not rely on internet for my streams (S2).

Tonight I will try time shift and recordings.
maar10

Postby maar10 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 am

I tried recordings and pause live tv but failed. Probably because my TV is on Android 6. Nougat should have an updated Live channels app with support of recording. This is beyond my test scope atm.
maar10

Return to DVBLink mobile clients