TV Guide not refreshing

Discuss DVBLink mobile clients (for iOS, Android and WinPhone) here!

TV Guide not refreshing

Postby marpo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,

The TV Guide in dvblink APP running on iPad 2 (latest OS 9.3.5, latest dvblink 3.5.3) is properly refreshed and updated when the APP is started for the first time (i.e. it didn't run in the background) or when I navigate within the running APP (e.g from Recorded TV page to TV Guide page).

However, when I switch to another application running on the iPad and return some time later to dvblink, the TV Guide is not refreshed. Also when I lock the iPad and return back an hour later and unlock the iPad, the TV Guide still shows the old, not refreshed TV Guide.

Anybody else with the same problem? Any advice?

Thanks,
Martin
marpo

Re: TV Guide not refreshing

Postby DaveH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm

I don't think the Recorded TV page refreshes either, unless you go to another page first. The pages reload only when you navigate to them from another page. It's the same on the Apple TV app too, isn't it?
DaveH

Postby marpo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Probably both pages impacted by the same issue.

It is more obvious at the TV Guide - when you return to the APP an hour later (from another APP, after unlocking iPad, etc.), you can see only the old programs and not the actual ones in progress.

It worked well in some older versions, I can see this bug for a year or so.
marpo

Postby btaroli » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:21 pm

This isn't just on the iOS version. This behavior also occurs on Android (FireTV). It seems that if the app goes through full startup cycle things are refreshed on load, but if it warm-starts then it doesn't. And the workaround is very similar... switch to another view (I usually use the schedules view since it displays faster than the EPG) and then back to the desired view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
btaroli

Postby marpo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:38 pm

I see, thanks for confirmation that this is really a common bug. Then we have better chances to get it resolved.

Not sure how it works here. I guess it is not monitored by the application developers on thorough basis. Do you know the process to report this bug formally?
marpo

Postby the_man » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:55 am

As the @DaveH said - The Guide/RecordedTV/etc. pages always refresh on loading of the app and on switching between pages (in case if app was hidden in background).
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby marpo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for your feedbacks.

After reinstallation of the APP, it refreshes well.
marpo

Postby marpo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Sadly, in some cases, it does not refresh properly when waking up iPad. After unlocking iPad, sometimes it is properly refreshed, sometimes it keeps showing the blue line and the programs in the "old" time whereas some time passed as you can see on the top.

See a screenshot.

Then I played a TV program and return back to the Guide and the glue line still remains at the old time. I.e. it is not only after unlocking but also after watching TV.

It looks like it sometime hangs up and stop refreshing. The true is that sometime it works well. But not always.

What helped to refresh the page was a simple scrolling of the program to the left, it refreshed the Guide in a second.
Attachments
image4.PNG
image4.PNG (168.84 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
marpo

Postby the_man » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Please try in such case go to Recorded TV tab and back to Guide - do you see the Correct data now?
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby marpo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Yes, switching pages back and force refreshes data properly.
marpo

Postby btaroli » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:36 am

Just wanted to follow-up on this because this continues to be an issue. I originally commented on how the FireTV app behaves, but I have since changed to AppleTV and this behavior also occurs on iOS.

This occurs when the app has previously been used (usually once daily in my usage) and is opened. Upon launching, mine comes up in the view it was last in, Recordings.

But I know this is wrong. So I first slide up to the menu row and then right to the Schedule view.

When I go back to the Recordings view, it now updates.

It's a small annoyance, perhaps, but it is certainly a long-lived one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
btaroli

Postby the_man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 am

btaroli wrote:Just wanted to follow-up on this because this continues to be an issue. I originally commented on how the FireTV app behaves, but I have since changed to AppleTV and this behavior also occurs on iOS.

This occurs when the app has previously been used (usually once daily in my usage) and is opened. Upon launching, mine comes up in the view it was last in, Recordings.

We will check what could be done. But you see this requires to make an update of the page each "x" times , and it may lead to extra loading of the client machine and server too. (Yes it is not an issue for a new powerful devices but for an old ones it is ) Hence at the moment implemented the manual update of the pages.
the_man

Postby marpo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm

the_man wrote:
We will check what could be done. But you see this requires to make an update of the page each "x" times , and it may lead to extra loading of the client machine and server too. (Yes it is not an issue for a new powerful devices but for an old ones it is ) Hence at the moment implemented the manual update of the pages.

It worked well in older versions of iOS app (circa 1-2 years ago...) and on old iPad2 device without any noticeable performance problem.
marpo

Postby btaroli » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:33 pm

I'd much rather it be slow than WRONG.
btaroli

Postby marpo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 pm

btaroli wrote:I'd much rather it be slow than WRONG.

I agree, I vote for it too.
marpo

Return to DVBLink mobile clients