New iOS App and Playback issues

Discuss DVBLink mobile clients (for iOS, Android and WinPhone) here!

New iOS App and Playback issues

Postby btaroli » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:10 am

I just recently noticed the iOS player change, since I'd been in the habit of using the Android player on Fire TV, and I'm a little concerned by some things I've noticed.

1) Touch input in the player is not intuitive. I cannot simply tap the screen to bring up the controls, but instead I have to swipe downward slightly. If I swipe downward too much then another panel with audio subchannel information pops up. Messy.

2) thumb skimming around commercials is near impossible. Used to be that as I dragged the thumb I could see the time index and perhaps even a screen cap of the current location show up. No more. It's like stabbing in the dark. Even if we could get skip forward/backward buttons like we have in the android player it would be. A huge improvement.

3) playback of recorded shows crashes, esp when jogging through the timeline. I wind up having to force quit the app and hope I can find my place after restarting, or just use a different client altogether.

What in the world happened here?
btaroli

Re: New iOS App and Playback issues

Postby jobbanobba » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:04 pm

I support this

And there is another annoying thing:

In the schedule area, if you tap on the name of the scheduled programme the send to message pops up but it will neither go away by itself nor you cannot close it. You have to force close the app!!!!
My TV server machines:
DS214play, 6 TB, 2x PCTV 292e DVB-C Unitymedia Hessen, 1x PCTV 292e DVB-T2 HD Germany/Hessen, DSM 6, DVBLink 6
Holiday Home: DS116, 2 TB, PCTV 461e DVB-S2, DSM 6, DVBLink 6
jobbanobba

Postby jabo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 am

I agree, the skip forward/backward process is terrible and oh so sub standard. All other video apps on the Apple TV use skip forward/back 10s, it is fantastic.

Can I suggest that the good people at DVBlogic sit down and have a look at the interface for the old windows media Center, it is 10 years old but light years ahead in usability and simplicity!
jabo

Postby btaroli » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:28 am

I experienced an interesting change in behavior that I wanted to share. I'd been in the process of bringing up a new NAS. It was fairly constrained on RAM at first so I neglected to enable the transcoding feature at that point. Once I upgraded the RAM, I enabled transcoding. As soon as I did this, the player behavior in iOS returned to what I'd seen previously!

I had no idea that the state of transcoding in the server settings would result in player appearance and behavior changing so dramatically.
btaroli

Return to DVBLink mobile clients