feedback on android Theatre app

Discuss DVBLink mobile clients (for iOS, Android and WinPhone) here!

feedback on android Theatre app

Postby FRnk » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:07 pm

After not having used the Theatre app for android, I just saw that there was an update for it so I decided to give it another try.
Unfortunately, despite of having extra features now the app still seems pretty much unusable.

My main issues are:
-Text is just way too small. I can barely make out the EPG information even when leaning forward into my TV screen.
(I use the app on an android box connected to my 40 inch screen with a totally normal viewing distance)
Trying to read the EPG gives a headache, the GUI is just very unpleasant in that sense.
-Player has not seen any development. As people have pointed out earlier, the player doesn't keep the settings for audio tracks.
This means I.E. with watching BBC that narrative voice (for the deaf and blind) is on by default, and that every time you want to switch to that channel you have to manually reset the audio channel. That in itself is enough reason for not wanting to use this app again.
Why not give the option to use and external player (MX player) like you can in the normal android app?

For now I will just keep using the normal android app on my big screen; that works great even though it requires the use of an air mouse.
I wonder if this theater app will see any development in the future, both in GUI as on the player side.
FRnk

Re: feedback on android Theatre app

Postby the_man » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:14 pm

May you describe your android box screen settings and a screenshot/photo of the Guide from the Theatre?
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby FRnk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:59 pm

The box is a Beelink GT1 (AMLogic S912) on android 6.0
Screen resolution is 1080p 60fps.
No other apps are showing such small text.

The notification bar at the top is permanent b.t.w., also in the player, it doesn't go fullscreen.
The bottom navigation bar is normally not there. It is only there because I pulled it up to make these screenshots.
In the image below you can see how audio channel is always by default on "NAR" instead of "English"
FRnk

Postby FRnk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:15 am

Any thoughts on text size and/or notification bar?
FRnk

Postby FRnk » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:46 am

Installed the theatre app on my tabet too (nexus 9) to see what it looks like there.
Same result, text is also extremely small.
I can move the tablet closer to my eyes though so I can still read it.
I can't do that with my tv though....

I noticed that on the tabet the channels don't play fullscreen either, notification and nav bar remain.
Making an external player optional would benefit the theatre app greatly imho.
FRnk

Postby FRnk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:06 pm

I have tested the theatre appp on a new Xiaomi mi box that runs Android TV 6.0
The epg text is larger so much better than in the examples that I posted above.

The player is still a frustration with the issues I pointed out before.
On top of that the player settings interface comes up every time you change volume, and only goes away by clicking the back button.
FRnk

Postby the_man » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:34 pm

FRnk wrote:I have tested the theatre appp on a new Xiaomi mi box that runs Android TV 6.0
The epg text is larger so much better than in the examples that I posted above.

The player is still a frustration with the issues I pointed out before.
On top of that the player settings interface comes up every time you change volume, and only goes away by clicking the back button.

We are looking how to make font/resolution for all screens to be the same/ readable.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby the_man » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:55 am

The issue with the resolution is found and will be fixed with the next build.
Also there are a few fixes (from your review) in the build which was released a week ago.
the_man

Postby Mavericko254 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:20 am

Hi,
I am using the theater app on my Sony TV android TV and has got the same problem to set the volume like FRnk. I can switch it only one level, than I have to push the back button to clear the screen. After that, I can switch down the volume one more level and have to clear the screen again.
Thats unusable for my family
Mavericko254

Return to DVBLink mobile clients