AppleTV 4 will be released in the end of October '15

Discuss DVBLink mobile clients (for iOS, Android and WinPhone) here!

Re: AppleTV 4 will be released in the end of October '15

Postby the_man » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:19 pm

robvnet wrote:
solomalee wrote:Could be to do with the Kodi PVR plugin... I've tried Kodi on OSX and had trouble with series recordings too.

As for the other issue, OSX doesn't seem to allow current recordings to be watched.

I guess it completely depends on client. At the moment the only possible option to watch the recording, currently is recorded it is use the DVBLink PVR Addon for Kodi.
As for trial - if do not have enough time for testing all you need you can ask about resetting your trial period.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby solomalee » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:29 am

Any news yet on the ATV4 client?

Tuner:Octopus NET (SATIP)
Server:Synology DS1010 DSM 5.2,DVBlink 6.0,Digiguide EPG 6.0
Client:RPI3 LibreElec 8.0.1, KODI 17.1, DVBlink addon
solomalee

Postby nexusle » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:18 pm

+1

any news on this? End of '15 is a few days old...
nexusle

Postby Oberon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:26 pm

We have good news and not that good news.

Good news first - we have made a good progress in adapting DVBLink app UI to Apple TV style and behavior.

The not that good news are that while doing this work we have realized that we need more time and DVBLink server modification to do it right.

So the current status is that to have a good looking and a good working DVBLink app for Apple TV it will take another 4-6 weeks at least.

Sorry about the delay, but we feel that it has to be done good from the very beginning.
Oberon

Postby nexusle » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:53 pm

No problem!

Please keep us informed if there is progress or delays.

Thanks
nexusle

Postby nexusle » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:43 pm

And PLEASE!!!

Don't forget the WOL feature!! :shock: 8) :D
nexusle

Postby solomalee » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks Oberon for the update, I'm really looking forward to seeing DVBlink on AppleTV.

If it works even as well as the iPad version, it's going to be VERY COOL indeed ! 8)

Tuner:Octopus NET (SATIP)
Server:Synology DS1010 DSM 5.2,DVBlink 6.0,Digiguide EPG 6.0
Client:RPI3 LibreElec 8.0.1, KODI 17.1, DVBlink addon
solomalee

Postby solamar » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:06 pm

+1 - Really looking forward to this. :mrgreen:

Take what time you need, thanks for great apps! 8)
solamar

Postby DaveH » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing this as well. At present I just have a Samsung blu-ray player connected to my (dumb) TV, and it's not a great viewing experience...

I don't know anything about how ATV works really, but how does video playback work? Is it built in to TVOS, does a separate app handle it like on iOS, or does the DVBLink client do the video as well?
DaveH

Postby jeroen020 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:02 pm

Can't wait to try it as well!

DaveH wrote:I don't know anything about how ATV works really, but how does video playback work? Is it built in to TVOS, does a separate app handle it like on iOS, or does the DVBLink client do the video as well?

Nobody here (except Oberon) knows exactly what DVBLink for Apple TV will be like, but I imagine its features are similar the the Ipad client. A DVBLink can be downloaded fromt he store and becomes an icon in your main tvOS user interface. I assume that opening the app takes you to a program grid that allows you to see what's on and coming up, as well as select a channel/show to watch or record. Of course you should be able to watch all these channels from within the app itself. Also I assume it allows you to watch your DVBLink recordings from within the app, and perhaps manage scheduled recordings as well.

A key difference is the way to control it - this will be primarily through the touch remote of the AppleTV, instead of a touchscreen. So swiping and clicking the remote will be the main way to use DVBLink. Siri integration and voice control would be cool too, although where I'm based (Netherlands) Siri is not yet supported for Apple TV.

I hope DVBLink nails it and becomes the ultimate TV watching tool for Apple TV (and any set top box for that matter). I think what is especially key is how easy and fast can you be watching a channel (time from picking up the remote to video playback start) and how smooth and quick it zaps/changes between channels, skip back/forward in recordings etc. If that is all fast, smooth and intuitive, I think DVBLink will have a winner here.
jeroen020

Postby Videonisse » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 pm

+1
I also hope timeshift will be supported with smooth back and forward control.
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Postby noggin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Some thoughts as a long-term (but quiet here) DVB Logic user who also has an Apple TV 4 running Kodi (sideloaded using XCode) and MrMC.

1. AFAIK both MrMC and Kodi use ffmpeg software-only decoding and deinterlacing on the Apple TV 4. They don't, AIUI, use any hardware acceleration or tvOS video playback APIs? The Apple ARM chip in the ATV4 is pretty powerful.
2. The Kodi and MrMC deinterlacing implementations are Bob (you need Bob Inverted for European 1080i and 576i) - they don't offer YADIF 2x.
3. 720/50p and 1080/50i both playback pretty well at TV bitrates. I've got some high bitrate Blu-ray 1080i stuff that causes both apps to choke. (This is 25-35Mbs stuff though)
4. I've used TV Headend (not DVB Logic as my DVB Logic server is in a different location to my Apple TV 4) and it worked fine (albeit with Bob deinterlacing)
5. AC3 audio from .wtv recordings plays out as an AC3 bitstream fine. (Haven't tried transcoding AAC 5.1 Freeview HD audio to AC3 - but the option is there)

For pure DVBLogic use the following isn't likely to be a huge limitation, but if you want Netflix etc. as well it will be. tvOS apps can't change the output refresh rate of the Apple TV. That's a user-only setting, and "AUTO" doesn't allow for auto-switching (it just selects the best setting it thinks universally, based on EDID from the device). So whilst you can set 1080/50p as an output refresh rate - which is great for European TV viewing, but not ideal for 1080/24p Netflix. The ATV4 doesn't offer 1080/24p output - so 1080/60p is the best setting for most Netflix content (most is 24p) but you'll get 3:2 pulldown (like most Netflix platforms).

Be interesting to see how DVBLogic approach things - and whether they try to use hardware accelerated video playback (not sure about deinterlacing) - or rely on software.

(Slightly off topic ATV observations below)
Also - if you're in the UK - do yourself a favour and install the BBC iPlayer tvOS app. You get full 720/50p content (not 25p - so you get full motion on news, sport, entertainment etc.) and live channels. The BBC News Channel stream at 720/50p is very good indeed.

If you're in a Nordic country - the DR and NRK apps are both excellent (DR's is very good indeed) - though SVT's isn't quite as good (no live channels unlike DR and NRK). In fact the SVT Play plugin on Kodi is better than the SVT Play app in tvOS (you get live channels via this route). None of these sources offer 50p content though sadly.
noggin

Postby robvnet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:27 am

the_man wrote:I guess it completely depends on client. At the moment the only possible option to watch the recording, currently is recorded it is use the DVBLink PVR Addon for Kodi.
As for trial - if do not have enough time for testing all you need you can ask about resetting your trial period.

Since my DVBLink trial ended, I've given TVHeadEnd a go. It's a lot trickier to setup but it does support the two features missing with DVDBLink in MrMC - watching recordings in progress and series record based on the EPG. So yes it depends on the client (i.e. MrMC vs Kodi) and the features supported by the PVR backend.

Anyway, hoping DVBLink come out with an awesome Apple TV 4 app!
robvnet

Postby Oberon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 am

robvnet wrote:
the_man wrote:I guess it completely depends on client. At the moment the only possible option to watch the recording, currently is recorded it is use the DVBLink PVR Addon for Kodi.

Since my DVBLink trial ended, I've given TVHeadEnd a go. It's a lot trickier to setup but it does support the two features missing with DVDBLink in MrMC - watching recordings in progress and series record based on the EPG. So yes it depends on the client (i.e. MrMC vs Kodi) and the features supported by the PVR backend.

Anyway, hoping DVBLink come out with an awesome Apple TV 4 app!

DVBLink supports both of those features in Kodi.
Oberon

Postby robvnet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:45 am

Oberon wrote:DVBLink supports both of those features in Kodi.

Oberon, do you mean in the ATV4 Kodi App?

Any idea why they aren't supported in MrMC?
robvnet

PreviousNext

Return to DVBLink mobile clients