Android app in kitkat 4.4

Discuss DVBLink mobile clients (for iOS, Android and WinPhone) here!

Android app in kitkat 4.4

Postby FRnk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:47 pm

After upgrading to android 4.4 kitkat the program titles suddenly look very strange and difficult to read.
The type is "hollow", I guess a screenshot shows best what I mean:
This is on a nexus 7 model 2012

Another issue that I have with the android client is that my phone and tablet vibrate everytime I tap on a program to see the details of that program.
I find this very uncomfortable.

This happens even with system settings turned off for "vibrate on touch" for UI interactions.
Can you please give the possibility within the app settings to turn the vibration off, or just remove it altogether?
FRnk

Re: Android app in kitkat 4.4

Postby FRnk » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I just received the update, thank you very much!

I am very glad to see (or should I say feel) that the vibration on tapping a program has gone. :D

Edit: the "play recordings" function is really nice too.
except that I get the vibration now when I tap on the "play" symbol.
Isn't the recording that starts playing enough feedback for the user to know that he tapped on "play"?
The vibration seems unnecessary and irritating.

But I don't want to sound negative; great job!
FRnk

Postby Oberon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:28 pm

The thing is that play and delete buttons are flat. And sometimes because of that it is not clear if user pressed them or not. That's why we decided to do vibration on pressing them.
Oberon

Postby FRnk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Oberon wrote:And sometimes because of that it is not clear if user pressed them or not.

I don't think I agree with you.
There is no feedback anyway when the user hasn't pressed a button properly.
There is only vibration when the user has managed to properly tap the button, but then there is already visual feedback because the videoplayer opens, which makes the vibration extra and unnecessary.

But its not very important anymore because now the vibration is only when playing a recording.
It used to vibrate every time when tapping a program to see the EPG, which is(well, was) quite annoying when you tap on 10 different programs in a short amount of time.

Anyway I am very much enjoying the improved app, I can't repeat that often enough.
Playing recorded programs and after that being able to delete them immediately is a wonderful function to have in the app.

I do have a small issue with time format though, even though my tablets format is set to 24 hours, the DVBlink app still shows all times in AM/PM.
This seems to be a specific issue with my LG G pad 8.3 though; on my old nexus and my S2 the 24 hour format works fine.

And finally a request for the future, would it be possible to have a vertical "timeline" something like the red line in the example underneath here?
Keep up the good work!
FRnk

Postby FRnk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:03 am

Just got the update, thank you very much for putting in the vertical timeline !
Major interface improvement, keep up the good work.
FRnk

Postby FRnk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:48 pm

There seems to be a small issue with the app unexpectedly closing.

It happens
-after deleting a recorded program
-after hitting the back button when looking at the information of a specific recording

(happens both on my LG Gpad 8.3 android 4.2.2, and on my samsung S2 Cyanogenmod10.2)
FRnk

Postby Oberon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks for reporting. The issues should be fixed by version 2.1.1 released today.
Oberon

Postby CrashingDutchman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 pm

I have tried the Android client in 4.4 with ART activated, but it does not work. After opening the client, it crashes within a couple of seconds. Is that something you can look into?

For those that don't know: ART will replace Dalvik which is currently the (Java) layer which makes it possible to run your Apps on so many different Android devices. ART will make your device faster (ie. smoother scrolling and faster overall performance) and less power hungry (more battery time). Android 4.4 has the option to set ART instead of Dalvik, but it is experimental. The next version of Android will most likely use ART exclusively.

If you want to try out ART, then enable developer option on your device and then select ART as runtime. A reboot is required and Android will 'convert' all apps to use ART after reboot.
CrashingDutchman

Postby Oberon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:43 pm

You may expect the ART compatible version no earlier than it stops being experimental.
Oberon

Postby FRnk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Some other issue I encountered:
In my network settings I have "local network" set as the default active profile.
Yesterday I tried to set a recording from a different geographical location.
Of course I need to set the active profile to "internet" then first, but the app doesn't let me.
It just hangs on the message: "Verifying server info"
The only thing I can do is wait, but then nothing happens, or I can close the app.
It doesn't let me access the active profile so I can change it.
FRnk

Postby Oberon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Yes, tthis is known issue and is on our todo list. To work around - simply disable wifi or mobile internet, enter setting screen and enable it again.
Oberon

Postby FRnk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:09 pm

The last mentioned issue got fixed this weeks update, thanks.

However something else seems broken:
when on the page of a recorded program there is the "delete" option.
After deleting and confirming, this page would auto-close and take you back on the recordings list.
This is broken; after deleting and confirming you are still looking at the page of the program that you just deleted, and you can repeat the delete action.

And a little request that could improve the UI experience somewhat in my opinion:
When opening the app the yellow time line is all the way on the left side, almost hidden.
It would be better to have the timeline a bit more to the right, so that the current program titles can be read.
Like in the image I posted earlier in this topic with the orange time line.
FRnk

Postby FRnk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 pm

FRnk wrote:when on the page of a recorded program there is the "delete" option.
After deleting and confirming, this page would auto-close and take you back on the recordings list.
This is broken; after deleting and confirming you are still looking at the page of the program that you just deleted, and you can repeat the delete action.

This issue has spontaneously disappeared.
FRnk

Postby CrashingDutchman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am

Oberon wrote:You may expect the ART compatible version no earlier than it stops being experimental.

Be prepared: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/b ... s-default/
CrashingDutchman

Postby kosemuckel » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:29 am

It just hangs on the message: "Verifying server info"

@oberon : Are you still working on this issue?
Its really boring to wait till this message dissapears - specially when you often switch between local/internet.
Connect! Server 5 · DVB-C Kabel-BW · HDhomerun 4DC · Technotrend TTC1501 & DigitalDevices CineCT V6 DoubleTuner
7MC Server (64) & Clients (64) · Android Clients (2.3/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.4) · openElec on eeePC (XBMC)
kosemuckel

Next

Return to DVBLink mobile clients